Tuesday 17 January 2012

The Swiss watch

One day the neighbour of my friend knocked on her door and with worried look on his face told her that his dog needed an urgent surgery but he haven't have enough money to pay for it. She invited him in and started the café maker. He told her that he would like to sell some of his possessions but wouldn't go to a pawn shop as he felt this was too impersonal and desperate. “What kind of things you would like to sell”, my friend curiously asked. “Well,” he said, “I have a Swiss watch, a rifle and a bike I never use”. “A rifle?” my friend asked going instantly back in time when she was a little girl when her dad showed her and her younger brother how to hunt. “Yes, an air-gun, my Swiss watch and the bike, I never use them and I want them to go to nice person who will use them and appreciate them.” My fiend was instantly sold and bought the 3 items from her friend. She told me this story the day she gave me the Swiss watch as a present. She said that it is a man’s watch that she is not using it and that I fit into her friend’s condition for possession – use it and appreciate it. She also told me that she gave the bike to her friend to use it to go to work every morning. “I am keeping the rifle” she said it reminds me of my dad. While I write I wear the beautiful watch. It is an automatic. Nevertheless I have at least 5 watches to check the time around me including the one on my desktop, I wear it so I would stay “alive” and I could see the flywheel moving on the face of the watch. I also remember the stories that go with it – the sad one about a sick dog and the beautiful one about good people.


No comments:

Post a Comment