Tuesday 18 December 2012

Can I Go Back In Time Please?


Today our daughter misbehaved badly. She was running and screaming in the supermarket, getting the looks of disapproval of patrons who were diligently checking up the sale signs on the shelves.

When my wife finally caught her in her arms, my daughter slapped her and scratched her face with her little, razor-sharp fingernails.

Tonight, before going to sleep, my daughter was talking in bed with her mom. I overheard the following conversation.

My daughter: “Mummy, can I go tomorrow to the daycare?”
My wife: “Tomorrow’s Saturday honey, you don’t go to the daycare on Saturdays”.
My daughter: “But I want to! Please, please let me go back to the daycare.”
My wife:” Why would you like to go back?” 
My daughter: “I want to go back just for a while, so you can come and pick me up again before I hit you mummy.”

My daughter is 34 months old. She doesn't know yet that for good or for evil we all aren't allowed to go back in time to undo the bad things we inflicted on our loved ones.  

I was both deeply humbled by these simple words and also saddened at the same time. 

Soon enough she’ll learn the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment